Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Going NUTS!

On Sunday morning we all got up and found the sun shining, so we grabbed our jackets and headed outside for a walk in the woods before conference started. It was beautiful- the leaves are gorgeous. It was a whole lot more chilly than we expected but a great start to the day.

As we were walking, the boys began noticing that the trail was covered in acorns being dropped by the oak trees. Being perpetual collectors- bugs, rocks, sticks- they began filling their pockets with the acorns. They collected till every pocket was bulging. Meanwhile, I was wrapped up in figuring out a new "fun place outside" for the acorn collection. Ben, on the other hand, couldn't miss this opportunity to throw a little "learning" into the mix. Thus commenced the discourse on Native Americans and their resourcefulness with acorns- crack them, mash them, grind them, make a flour substance, and then pancakes and various other yummy acorn treats! Emmy even had "acorn knowledge" from a book she's been reading as school. What?!
And my boys, not being ones to throw away new treasures of knowledge were soon begging to go home and try it! What?!
Apparently I'm the one out of the loop.

After I finally convinced them that mashing and grinding acorns was probably not an appropriate Sunday activity we found a bucket for the acorns and moved on with the rest of the day. I honestly thought (and secretly hoped) that all would be forgotten by morning and that would be the last of acorn pancakes.
Silly, silly mommy.
Monday morning came and my boys were up early! They flew through their chores and were begging me for mashing tools by 7:30 am. What?!
But, honestly, how can you say no? So... I found my kitchen hammer and helped them bundle (even the cold couldn't stop them) and, much to our neighbors delight, I sent them out to mash acorns!

The result: a LOT of mashed acorns!
Turns out it's a lot harder than it looks. But it's official now: We've all CRACKED! We're NUTS! (ok, I'll stop now, but I bet none of you are arguing!)

4 comments:

Andrea said...

So, how did the pancakes turn out?? :)

Tyler and Jeena said...

My boys would have been right there with them cracking and collecting. So cute.

Michelle Burk said...

Great little project. Boys always have to be busy doing something, why not go nuts?

Meeker home said...

Hammer. Smashing. Waking up the neighbors. What's a boy not to love?