Friday, January 2, 2009

My Little Enterprisers

So today it warmed up enough to start snowing again and in a desperate attempt to fill a few more "vacation" minutes I sent the boys outside to play in snow. Of course I kept myself busy inside and was amazed at how well they were playing and not even knocking once on the door to tell me they had snow down their boots. After about 30 minutes passed (very quickly!) I was getting very curious as to what was keeping them so entertained-(I could hear them on the side of the house and knew all was well but hadn't ventured outside myself to see). About that time they came stomping up the back steps- snow shovels in hand, appearing to be VERY proud of themselves. Here's what followed:
Clayton: "Hey mom. Guess what? We shoveled the WHOLE driveway for you!"
Mom: (shocked) "Wow! You did that all by yourselves! And you did that without me asking? (even more shocked)
Jamison: "Yeah, yeah! All by ourselves."
Mom: More "wow's".
Clayton: "Yeah, so Mom, where's our money?"
Mom:(a little puzzled, but slowly clueing into their sudden burst of helpfulness) "What money?"
Clayton: "You have to pay us...just like you pay the guy that comes and plows it with his truck! So how much do we get?"
Jamison: "Yeah, yeah. Clayton said that if I didn't work then I didn't get money, so where's my money mom?"

So needless to say after I "checked" their shoveling job (which was actually just a lot of pushing the snow around to different spots on the driveway,but a great effort for a 5 and 3 year old) I ponied up and gave them each 1 dollar! Best deal I ever got on my driveway-and THEY were thrilled.

3 comments:

Michelle Burk said...

That is awesome! Better make a list of jobs around the house for $.25/$.50. Maybe they do toilets. Sweet.

yamsey said...

Way cute! I wish my boys would do that. I guess it has to snow in Philly first.

Andrea said...

Classic. Sometimes "helping" really isn't. But so cute!